Some of you may not know Ruth, but she runs the website Illegal Protest. I met Ruth back in April of 2007 at the Hold Their Feet To The Fire event in Washington DC. At the time I thought I had read some of her stuff, but I wasn't sure.
We covered the event together with other bloggers and the citizen lobbyists and did some things like shouting at the White House to Free Ramos and Compean.
A funny thing though, neither of us talked to each other much. I do remember at one point sitting next to her while she troubleshot the wireless access at the hotel, but other than that there wasn't a whole lot of communication between us.
Fast forward 3 months later. I had split with my wife and was living on my own. I got an email from Ruth touching base since DC and we began to chat it up more and more.Things progressed from there. While I'm not going to go into the details or anything, I give you now 5 things I'm fond of about Ruth Miller.
- She's passionate. Holy cow is she passionate! She'll fight to the death on an issue she believes in. Passionate enough to give a public speech.
- She's intelligent. She's passionate because she is well informed. Oh sure, sometimes I think I know better, but intelligence and passion combined... watch out!
- She takes care of herself.
- She challenges me. Most people would see that as a negative, but when it comes to intellectuals like myself, being challenged keeps my skills sharp and forces me to investigate things and think about stuff.
- She's a computer geek - that doesn't look like a computer geek - that can set up a network, automate systems, put together servers and play a mean game of Warcraft. What's not to like about that?
And while you may know me as Digger, Ruth is the true digger. She'll latch onto a story and dig further than you've ever seen someone dig before.
So there you have it, 5 things I'm fond of about Ruth Miller.
I'm such a sap.