Eight Chinese workers in Iraq were taken hostage by an unknown terrorist group calling itself Nuamaan Brigade of the Islamic Resistance
. They have threatened to kill the hostages if China does not make its intentions clear within 48 hours.
Insurgents released a video Tuesday showing eight Chinese workers held hostage by gunmen who claim the men are employed by a construction company working with U.S. troops, in the latest abduction of foreigners in Iraq.
China's government confirmed the kidnappings, and the official Xinhua News Agency said diplomats were "making all efforts to rescue the eight hostages." The eight construction workers from China's southern Fujian province went missing last week while traveling to Jordan, Xinhua said.
In the video, delivered to various news organizations, the eight men appear in front of a small mud brick building and display their passports for the camera. The men are flanked by two gunmen with headscarves wrapped around their faces.
In a handwritten note delivered with the tape, an insurgent group calling itself the al-Numan Brigades said it abducted the men as they were on their way out of the country.
"The movement decided to free these Chinese soon on condition that they will not go back to their work with the occupation forces. And we hope the Chinese company will not deal with these forces," said the voice in the tape.
"At a time when the position of the Chinese government toward our cause was clear -- not taking part in invasion forces and their aggression against our country."
"We call on the Chinese government to clarify its position on them and other Chinese. We will kill them 48 hours after their pictures are televised unless that is done."
The names and ages of the Chinese hostages, according to the passports held up on the video, are: Wei Wu, 19, Lin Bin, 38, Lin Qiang, 39, Zhou Sunqin, 17, Chen Qin'ai, 36, Zhou Sunlin, 18, Lin Zhong, 38, and Lin Xiong, 34.
Tipped by: The Jawa Report who has a still shot of the hostages.
In The Bullpen